On Monday 05 September 2005 10:51 am, Steve Evans wrote:
> On Monday 05 Sep 2005 15:31, Robert Crawford wrote:
> > I just had a similar problem after I updated udev (I think). I run ~x86
> > systems, always kept current, so I expect a few minor hiccups, even
> > though I'm extremely careful  with etc-update. There seems to be some
> > weird stuff going on with udev, at least on my system, but after a lot of
> > reading on the formum, and trying many things, I tried changing my fstab
> > line
> >
> > /dev/cdroms/cdrom0  /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,rw,user
> > 0 0
> >
> > to this.
> >
> > /dev/hdc    /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,rw,user          0 0
> >
> > I think some rule in the new udev changed, and it wasn't creating cdroms
> > and cdrom0 anymore- only /dev/hdc.
> >
> > I looked in /dev, and sure enough, the cdrom and cdrw links point to the
> > hdc block device.
> >
> > Anyway, whatever it was, changing the fstab line now lets me mount cdroms
> > normally, as before.
> >
> > Robert Crawford
>
> I assume that as you are running ~x86 you have upgraded to gentoo-sources
> version 2.6.13. In that version devfs has been removed (well the config
> option has gone, the code is still there). The /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 style of
> device file name is a part of devfs, so if with earlier kernels you still
> had devfs enabled in the kernel, despite running udev, then you would have
> gotten the /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 link.
>
> I am running x86 and running with udev but with devfs still in the kernel.
> Yesterday I disabled devfs on one of the machines so that I could see what
> would break in preparation for 2.6.13 moving to x86. I experienced exactly
> your problem of /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 disappearing. Fortunately the solution
> is simple, as you describe above.
>
> Steve
> --
> Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                        WEB:    http://www.gorbag.com
> Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
> Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html

Steve,
What you say makes perfect sense, but I'm still not sure I have an
understanding of what has changed. I always compile my own kernels from
vanilla, and patches, so I haven't used gentoo-sources in at least 2 years.
My  current kernel is 2.6.13-gvivid (based on 2.6.13 final), which works
great, and is where I first noticed this cdrom problem. I did notice that
devfs had finally been removed.

However, when I boot with other previous kernels (2.6.12.x- vivid and nitro,
and 2.6.12.3 vanilla),  the problem remains. This leads me to believe that
somehow it's the newest udev version causing and some kind of compatibility
issue with recent kernels. I haven't investigated this much, but it didn't
happen with the previous udev version.

Anyway, for now I'm content with the fstab hdc edit resolution, and happy to
be rid of devfs..

Robert