On Tue, Sep 10 2013, Alan McKinnon wrote:

>> I set tmpwatch and wipe_tmp so that files survive in /tmp and /var/tmp
>> for a month.
>>
>> I don't like ~ for temp files since on some, admittedly rare, occasions
>> I actually use the gnome gui file manager and don't want a huge ~.  I
>> have long ago created ~/tmp (also cleaned after a month by tmpwatch) so
>> the only problem is breaking the habit of placing short-term files in
>> /tmp instead of ~/tmp.
>
> OK, I get it. I'd write all that temp stuff to /var/tmp so it doesn't
> get nuked by something cleverly trying to manage /tmp.

But A. McKinnon says (above) that an always valid rule of thumb is
"No object in /var/tmp can be expected to survive a reboot".

>> I realize that habit is bad for my (system's) health, but still find it
>> hard to break.  I shall try again. Perhaps this is very mild form of
>> what intelligent smokers feel :-).
>
> There is no such thing as an intelligent smoker; there are only stupid
> smokers :-)
>
> I'm a two-packs-a-day man myself, I speak from many years experience!

I promise not to mention it again, but you really should quit.

I consider one of my contributions to computer architecture is being at
least a little influential in getting Per Stenstrom to quit.  At the
time he was a rising star, who I felt would contribute greatly if he
didn't get sick from the cigs.  He did quit and has certainly
contributed.

allan