On 09/13/2013 03:47 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday 13 Sep 2013 14:47:35 Grant wrote:
>
>> Would the hot spare be in case I lose 2 drives at once?  Isn't that
>> extraordinarily unlikely?
>
> Not really. One fails and you don't notice for a while, or it takes a while
> recover from it. Then a second one fails. You're up queer street.

I like to do RAID6 now because I've been burned by this. The hot spare
did work and automatically start rebuilding, but another drive failed
during the rebuild process. Not that RAID6 will help if three drives
fail, but hey.

Another thing I've read is that firmware bugs on SSDs can wipe out a
whole array. I suspect it is when the raid has all the same
manufacturer/model in it and a bug appears on multiple drives killing
the array. I can't remember the details but I do believe the rebuild
procedure causing lots of writes and the drives bug out because of all
the writes. I'll admit this is not something that I've directly seen but
you may want to consider it, maybe even having 2 sets of 2 different
models in the array. My google-fu is failing me, I can't find that
article where I read this.

Dan