On 09/14/2013 10:46 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 14/09/2013 16:36, Michael Mol wrote:
>> So, for work, I got a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13. I've got it booting
>> Gentoo. The rtl8723au chipset, which manages both wifi and bluetooth in
>> this laptop, does not have a driver in =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.10.7.
>>
>> Everything I know about the driver comes from two places. First, the
>> LKML thread where Larry Finger announced his obtainment of the driver
>> from Realtek, and his uploading it to github.
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/1/280
>>
>> Second, the relevant Github repo (and the particular commit at which I
>> have it):
>>
>> https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723au/commit/58a426d1ce29d8c26c36630ef8970afdc6876fcc
>>
>> Now, here's what's weird. That driver code works fine under Ubuntu
>> 13.04. Boot into Ubuntu 13.04, build the driver, insmod 8723au.ko, and
>> NetworkManager/nm-applet tells me wireless networks are available.
>>
>> Under Gentoo, using 3.10.7, no such luck. Build the driver, insmod it,
>> and NetworkManager suddenly thinks there's a *wired* NIC present. The
>> Yoga 13 doesn't have a wired NIC.
>
> Eh? That is weird. Have you tried vanilla-sources to take gentoo
> patchset out of the equation?

I have not. I'll try that next.

> Or possibly the driver was developed on Ubuntu and relies on one of
> their patches

Story, as I read it, goes that it was developed by Realtek, who didn't
think to open-source it. Larry Finger asked Realtek for the driver, they
provided it, as well as permission to get it distributed further.

>> iwlist scan gives:
>>
>> enp0s26u1u4i2  Interface doesn't support scanning.
>>
>> ip link show gives:
>>
>> 9: enp0s26u1u4i2: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq
>> state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
>>     link/ether 20:16:d8:b0:25:77 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>>
>> The NIC doesn't appear under lspci, but it does appear under lsusb:
>>
>> /:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/2p, 480M
>>     |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=, 480M
>>         |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Wireless, Driver=, 480M
>>         |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 1, Class=Wireless, Driver=, 480M
>>         |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 2, Class=Vendor Specific Class,
>> Driver=rtl8723au, 480M
>>
>> (Several buses and ports omitted, just including the one that appears to
>> be where the NIC is located at)
>>
>> Hopefully I'm just missing something silly. If not, I'm perfectly
>> willing to dig deeper, so long as this 1wk-old kid on my lap is asleep...
>
> Daddy!!!!!
>
> Congrats on the new one in your life. Your definition of "personal free
> time" is about to change dramatically i.e. it goes away.

It's not possible to have less free time than I had in the past few
months. Even having this kid on my lap while I write this is a luxury of
free time I haven't had in ages. Nearly every non-work, non-sleep moment
was dedicated to preparing for this guy just showing up. Looking forward
to when he's big enough for the mai-tai; that'll afford me even more
flexibility.

Though I'll probably wind up eating my own words...

> Would this be why you suddenly got quiet the last 3 months or so?

Combined with my job getting busier and busier, yes. I'm flattered I was
missed. :)