Am 17.09.2013 09:20, schrieb Grant:
> I'm convinced I need 3-disk RAID1 so I can lose 2 drives and keep
> running.  I'd also like to stripe for performance, resulting in
> RAID10.  It sounds like most hardware controllers do not support
> 6-disk RAID10 so ZFS looks very interesting.
>
> Can I operate ZFS RAID without a hardware RAID controller?
>
> >From a RAID perspective only, is ZFS a better choice than conventional
> software RAID?
>
> ZFS seems to have many excellent features and I'd like to ease into
> them slowly (like an old man into a nice warm bath).  Does ZFS allow
> you to set up additional features later (e.g. snapshots, encryption,
> deduplication, compression) or is some forethought required when first
> making the filesystem?
>
> It looks like there are comprehensive ZFS Gentoo docs
> (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZFS) but can anyone tell me from the real
> world about how much extra difficulty/complexity is added to
> installation and ongoing administration when choosing ZFS over ext4?
>
> Performance doesn't seem to be one of ZFS's strong points.  Is it
> considered suitable for a high-performance server?
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM1NTA
>
> Besides performance, are there any drawbacks to ZFS compared to ext4?

do yourself three favours:

use ECC ram. Lots of it. 16GB DDR3 1600 ECC ram cost you less than 170€.
And it is worth it. ZFS showed me just how many silent corruptions can
happen on a 'stable' system. Errors never seen neither detected thanks
to using 'standard' ram.

turn off readahead. ZFS' own readahead and the kernel's clash - badly.
Turn off kernel's readahead for a visible performance boon.

use noop as io-scheduler.