On 27/09/2013 06:33, Johann Schmitz wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On 26.09.2013 22:42, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> You will break things horribly and will curse the day you tried.
>> Basically, puppet and portage will get in each other's way and clobber
>> each other. Puppet has no concept of USE flags worth a damn, cannot
>> determine in advance what an ebuild will provide and the whole thing
>> breaks puppet's 100% deterministic model.
>>
>> Puppet is designed to work awesomely well with binary distros, that is
>> where it excels. Keep within those constraints. Same goes for chef,
>> cfengine and various others things that accomplish the same end.
>
> Did you try to combine one of these solutions with portage's binary
> package feature? With --usepkgonly gentoo is more or less a binary
> distro. I'm thinking of using a single use flag set for 20+ Gentoo
> servers to get rid of compiling large packages in the live environment.

binpkgs don't turn gentoo into a binary distro, they turn it into
something resembling a Unix from the 90s with pkgadd - using dumb
tarballs with no metadata and no room to make choices. Puppet fails at
that as the intelligence cannot happen in puppet, it has to happen in
portage. If the binpkg doesn't match what package.* says, puppet is
stuck and portage falls back to building locally. The result is worse
than the worst binary distro.

By all means use a central use set, it's what I do for my dev VMs and it
works out well for me. Just remember to run emerge on each machine
individually.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com