kashani <kashani-list <at> badapple.net> writes:

>       Here's the rub, load balancing outbound traffic is easy. Turn on
> advanced routing in your kernel, recompile, reboot, add your two default
> gateways and you're now using both connections. IIRC Linux does per
> connection load sharing, not per packet so a single TCP stream can not
> use the aggregate connection speed of both pipes.

Well, I have not been active is complex routing solutions, lately,
hence the inquiry as to available multi-homed solutions circa BGP.

>       However load balancing incoming traffic is hard even with BGP. I'd be
> very surprised if either of your ISP's let you run BGP with them other
> than announcing a default 0.0.0.0/0 route to you via a private AS
> number. Assuming you even get that far I'm positive that their filters
> are going to swallow any route announcement specific enough to modify
> your traffic. Without BGP you have no redundancy for incoming traffic.
> Here's an example.

So BGP-4 is still the only solution to multi-homed networks.....?
Here's one treatise on the subject:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nagami-mip6-nemo
-multihome-fixed-network-03.txt

Thanks for your input.