Alan McKinnon wrote:
> These days all you need is ehci for usb2 and xhci for usb3 (unless you
> are using ancient hardware with physical usb1 ports)

Well, I rebuilt the kernel and removed the OHCI and UHCI.  When I
rebooted, it couldn't see my UPS and nut couldn't start its services.
So, it appears that mine must be "ancient" hardware.  My messages file
is still full of the same error after this change.  That would be adding
back the OHCI part.

BTW, I didn't have XHCI enabled so maybe now some things will be faster
when using USB ports.  ;-)

Is it safe to disable this and will this kill the messages:  USB verbose
debug messages

This is a grep of USB stuff.

root@fireball / # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i hci
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
# CONFIG_SATA_AHCI_PLATFORM is not set
# CONFIG_SATA_ACARD_AHCI is not set
# CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI is not set
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_XHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=y
# CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING is not set
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED is not set
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_PCI=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
# CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_PLATFORM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PLATFORM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_DESC is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_MMIO is not set
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
# CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD is not set
CONFIG_PROVIDE_OHCI1394_DMA_INIT=y
root@fireball / #

So, now what?  Can I tell syslog to ignore that error or do I need to
beat something into the kernel?

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!