On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 01:36:50PM -0500, Dale wrote:

> Well, I rebuilt the kernel and removed the OHCI and UHCI.  When I
> rebooted, it couldn't see my UPS and nut couldn't start its services.
> So, it appears that mine must be "ancient" hardware.  My messages file
> is still full of the same error after this change.  That would be adding
> back the OHCI part.
>
> BTW, I didn't have XHCI enabled so maybe now some things will be faster
> when using USB ports.  ;-)
>
> Is it safe to disable this and will this kill the messages:  USB verbose
> debug messages
>
> This is a grep of USB stuff.
>
> root@fireball / # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i hci
> CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
> # CONFIG_SATA_AHCI_PLATFORM is not set
> # CONFIG_SATA_ACARD_AHCI is not set
> # CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI is not set
> CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
> CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
> CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_XHCI=y
> CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=y
> # CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING is not set
> CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
> # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED is not set
> CONFIG_USB_EHCI_PCI=y
> CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
> # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_PLATFORM is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PLATFORM is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_DESC is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_MMIO is not set
> CONFIG_USB_OHCI_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
> # CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD is not set
> CONFIG_PROVIDE_OHCI1394_DMA_INIT=y
> root@fireball / #
>
> So, now what?  Can I tell syslog to ignore that error or do I need to
> beat something into the kernel?
>
> Dale

Is this your motherboard?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3320#sp

If so, you have 6 USB 2.0 ports, and 2 USB 3.0. The ports with blue are the
USB 3.0 ports. Therefore, your kernel needs EHCI (USB 2.0/1.0/1.1) and XHCI
(USB 3.0). (This is not including the internal connectors on your board which
might have a cable running to the front of your case as USB 2.0.)

No matter how special you think your setup is, you don't need OHCI. The EHCI
driver for the port is backwards compatible with a USB 1.{0,1} device. I've
tested this on my boards using the only USB 1.1 device I brought back from
China. If you doubt me, build your kernel with this:

CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_PCI=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PLATFORM=y

CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=y

CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD is not set

CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD is not set

boot into it, issue "tail -f /var/log/messages" and plug in your USB devices.
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \