Laptop hardware is custom, so I doubt yu can replace anything with
something else.

For radeons, use the xorg driver rather than the ati ones for a laptop.
You lose some, you gain some.  For me I can get it to work across
multiple projectors/monitor types and resolutions without rebooting (I
use suspend2) so I can just go into a lecture theatre, plug the cable in
and resume.  No picture, then just start changing resolutions until
happy (takes seconds at the most) Avoid autodetect - almost always chose
unsuitable resolutions with projectors, plus needed a cold boot (even
just shutting xorg didnt work - think its a bios thing) to work
properly.

BillK