I recently got access to an older MacBook Air (from 2008 or so). The
model number is A1237, it brings a Core2Duo CPU, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB hdd ...

So I got motivated and installed refind as a help to boot from
live-media (USB-stick as there is no cdrom) ... in turn resized the
hfs-partition and transplanted some gentoo-installation in there.

I am pretty much satisfied with my efforts so far:

refind lets me chose GRUB2 ... ok, I somehow managed to configure it in
a way so that it does not find its grub.cfg yet. Call it a security
feature ;-) -> I have to manually tell it where to read that file every
time booting ... I will figure out.

After that I can boot gentoo and in turn also Gnome-3.8 ... fine.

Does anyone of you gentoo-users also run gentoo on such a hardware?

my todos are (for now):

* I only got the harddisk detected via IDE/PATA (so it is hda and not
sda now). It should be accessible via AHCI as well, but that didn't work
yet (and I expect some more performance via AHCI).

* Sound via pulseaudio: not there yet ... no errors, devices displayed
correctly, but no sound.

* suspend to ram in gnome: got to check that

* right clicks with touchpad

... yes, sure, it's not the most powerful hardware anymore but it might
be some inbetween-device for me: better to write and surf than my
tablets ... but lighter and easier to carry than my thinkpad.

And it's fun to run gentoo on it ;-)

Stefan