On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 06:31:50PM -0700, Bob Sanders wrote

> > 1. Beat head on wall for not thinking to buy a UPS.
>
> Most UPSs below about US$400 are junk.  You'd be served just as well
> with a decent surge suppressor power strip.  Don't waste your money
> on a UPS.

  Not if all you want is to give your home system 5 minutes to shut down
in a power failure, or to handle the occasional 30-second outage, of
which my area seems to have more than its fair share.  The saying about
"Horses for courses" is especially true here.  I don't get business DSL
with a horrendeously expensive SLA for my home ADSL service either.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca