On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 08:44:00PM +0000, João Matos wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I`ve just installed a brand new gentoo amd64 and there is this problem: my
> "Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI
> Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)" is recognized as *sit0* , but
> I can't get any IP Adress.
>
> dhcp takes long and doesn't get any result. dhcpcd doesn't work either.
> Even if I choose a manual address I cant ping other devices.
>
> When I used ifconfig, I got something like "ipv6 over ipv4", but I will
> only need ipv4. So I disabled ipv6 USE flag, but I didn't change anything.
> The weird thing is that if I disable the IPV6 kernel support (manual
> configuration btw), the network interface (sit0) desappears!
>
> When I reboot the system using a usb botable Ubuntu everything works fine,
> using the same hardware/infrastructure.

sit0 is used for ipv6 tunneling (6to4), it is not a physical interface

While you're in the Ubuntu environment, issue "lspci -k" to see which kernel
driver your ethernet device uses. It is R8169 which is provided by:

Symbol: R8169 [=y]
Type  : tristate
Prompt: Realtek 8169 gigabit ethernet support
  Location:
    -> Device Drivers
      -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])
        -> Ethernet driver support (ETHERNET [=y])
          -> Realtek devices (NET_VENDOR_REALTEK [=y])

The Gentoo Handbook has the following Networking section
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=8#doc_chap2
which tells you what to do.

If you prefer eth0, rather than some udev mangled name such as enp3s0, read
the three methods in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \