On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 04:44:43PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I too see your viewpoint, as you see mine. There's nothing wrong with
> your logic within the narrow domain of making the code that implements
> this specific feature (subslots) work correctly per spec.
>
> Background: I'm a Linux sysadmin by day at an ISP. I constantly have to
> contend with Devs and Devops writing bespoke code to implement business
> rules. Because I sit three feet back from the problem, I can almost
> always see the flaws with the solution. I can't give much details
> unfortunately, my employer owns the code. But I get to be very very good
> at spotting code that runs per spec, but is very brittle in the real
> world. I look for tells like this:
>
> - is the dev trying to get code deployed that is not fully tested?
> - is the dev trying to ignore or minimize the real world effect on other
> systems?
> - can the dev show that someone else (not him) can actually maintain it,
> configure it and understand it?
> - Can every single person in his team rattle off the primary salient
> points of the code without thinking much?
> - Did the team who write the code write a doc on how to configure it,
> and how to deal with possible failures they anticipate?
> - If someone else (like eg me) gets this wrong and I make mistakes while
> deploying, how will I know I've made a mistake? Do I get a sane error
> message that a) describes the error in simple language and b) does not
> make the fatal mistake of exposing the underlying implementation in
> error messages?
> - Do I need to read the code itself to gain even a high level
> understanding of what the code does?

That is good practice, to say the least. Wish it would happen in Gentoo. But
then again, may I ask, do you have as many devs and as many pkgs that must
co-exist on so many differently configured machines?

My take is something like that should be implemented in Gentoo. But then, I
came from to Gentoo after 7+ years in Slackware. It happened your way there,
also, because of a BDFL. We don't have such in Gentoo.

The fact that 16939 packages in Gentoo mostly always work is amazing! Which
requires a lot of hands on deck; and they don't all have the same skills.

> By now you will have guessed that nearby Dev team hate my guts with a
> passion. Unlucky for them, I'm root and they ain't. Lucky for them, I'm
> quite reasonable and happy to work together to get the questions
> answered. With an answer of some kind, we can assess risk and make a
> rational choice. Oftentimes it comes down to we write one detailed
> technical doc and allay all fears.
>
> I don't see these questions being answered wrt subslots. Maybe they were
> answered and I haven't seen the link yet, maybe not. Maybe senior devs
> with clue have thus far successfully modified ebuilds, maybe not. Maybe
> more junior devshave yet to take their first steps, and maybe they will
> royally screw things up by not understanding the syntax, or maybe not.
>
> These questions have not been answered and I certainly don't have
> answers; I also think neither do you. I would like to see this feature
> extensively tested in de and stage before it hits production. Only then
> can I decide for myself if subslots are a good solution to the stated
> problem.

I've asked a very specific question about subslot philosophy as it pertains to
a specific situation on gentoo-dev.
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \