On 2013-11-14 3:32 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 14/11/2013 18:16, Tanstaafl wrote:
I had changed the password to something simple for testing, and now,
after changing it back to my strong password, it fails with:

"invalid SMTP AUTH configuration, trying unauthenticated"

The password has two special characters in it that I'm sure are
problematic - a colon and a pipe symbol (I use a password generator, and
would prefer to use my same system without modification, if possible) -
so, how can I 'wrap' it so that it doesn't matter what characters are in
the password?

I tried setting the username+password as a variable and using that:

USER_PASS="user:pass"

But it still failed with the same error..

Quoting rules. Ugh. I've found only two methods that work in real life,
neither satisfactory:

1. Start almost randomly escaping suspect characters with single,
quotes, double quotes and backslashes till you find a combination that
works. Then remove things one at a time and try infer what the rules area

2. Read the code

Not the answer you were looking for, sorry about that, but I got nothing
better.

Thanks Alan... well, I decided this just wasn't worth the hassle, so I bit the bullet and made a really long (30 characters) random jumble of letters and numbers for the password. I had to create a special account in my password management app (passwordmaker firefox extension) just for this use, but it works, and is secure enough for me to be able to sleep at night. :)