Greetings,

I spent a chunk of yesterday updating world on my machines (2 file
servers and 1 netbook) and with some effort, the updates went through. I
had to go out today so I rebooted my netbook and I started noticing
weird graphical glitches in certain applications, as if parts of the
screen weren't updating, namely in urxvt and emacs. In urxvt, my shell
prompt seems to not render the cursor and often keeps the letters I
remove still on the prompt (only graphically, they aren't actually
there). This is extremely annoying.

It's also terrible in emacs: cursor sometimes doesn't get rendered and I
get tons of artefacts from different buffers when I switch or from text
I was editing. You can find an example image of such glitches in emacs
at [1]. This is absolutely tragic for me as I spend majority of my time
in emacs. I'd like to note that I'm running emacs in a graphical frame
and not in a terminal.

I'm unsure whether this is the case in my other machines as they are
headless and don't even have X.

The issue is weird however: firefox and thunderbird are fine, they don't
suffer any such glitches. I can also make the glitches go away by
‘refreshing’ my screen with use of xrandr, such as telling xrandr to
change my settings to what they currently are, which should technically
be a no-op but well, it seems that it does it anyway.

Oh, I should mention that I did not update my kernel
Linux misaki 3.9.0-rc6 #1 SMP Tue Apr 9 10:51:07 BST 2013 i686 Intel(R)
Core(TM)2 Duo CPU L7700 @ 1.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I am truly lost as to how to troubleshoot this. I provide links to some
of my system information below:

http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/misc/genlop
http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/misc/emergeinfo

Please feel free to request any information. I hope someone can aid me
as this basically renders my shell and emacs useless and they are the
two things I absolutely need. Even getting my logs was difficult with
such broken setup.

Thanks.

[1]: http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/images/badrendering.png
--