On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:52:10 +0100
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruineh...@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> There are some other options of "nesting" as well. You can use
> backticks "`" or $(...) to run a command "inside" another. An example
> would be emerge `qlist -CI x11-drivers`  (or the equivalent emerge
> $(qlist -CI x11-drivers) ) . This would run "qlist -CI
> x11-drivers" (lists installed packages of the category x11-drivers)
> and use this output for emerge (which will effectively result in
> reinstalling every package from the x11-drivers category).

As I understand it, the $(...) syntax is the preferred way of nesting,
as opposed to backticks. I think this may be due to backticks requiring
some special escaping that the $(...) syntax does not require. I
attempted a brief search for supporting information, but didn't find a
definitive source to back up my claims :)