2013/11/27 Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankev...@gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> Portage recently told me this:
>
>  * You need to add kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel for
>  * kernel modules to have required static nodes!
>  * Run this command:
>  * rc-update add kmod-static-nodes sysinit
>
> Will you please help me parse this statement?
>
> Interpretation A:
>  * You need to add kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel
>
> Interpretation B:
>  * If your kernel modules require static nodes, then you need to add
>  * kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel
>
> Q1: Is it A or B (or C...)?
>
> Q2: If it's B, then how do I determine whether or not my kernel
> modules require static nodes?

I also had trouble to interpret the message and because I was lazy I just
added the kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel.

After searching a bit I found that this was added due to bug #477856, but
reading this as well as the release notes for kmod I am still not sure if
this is needed in any case or just if there is a modular kernel etc.

I am cc'ing one of the kmod maintainers maybe he can explain what is meant
exactly.

@Samuli: You have added the elog message to kmod-14-r1. Can you please give
some more information about when kmod-static-nodes is required to be in the
sysinit runlevel? Thanks in advance.

--
Regards
Daniel Pielmeier