Hello all,

I am currently updating my system and Portage wants to replace udev
(204) with systemd (208).  My question is (hopefully) simple:

Can I use systemd as drop-in replacement for udev?  In other words, can
I pretend that systemd is udev and continue using OpenRC as with udev
itself?  I would then apply just udev 204 to 208 update instructions
(http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade).

I am using WindowMaker and systemd was pulled in by
gnome-settings-daemon which in turn was pulled in by gdm.  I would like
to stick with gdm.

Usually I feel pretty comfortable replacing one package with another if
Portage wants so (e.g. because they block each other) but in this case I
want to be extra careful.  I did not find a clear answer to this.
Usually people either migrate fully to systemd (replacing openrc) or
stays with udev + openrc.

Regards,
Robert

--