On Sat, Dec 07 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2013 12:40 PM, "walt" <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just updated my stable amd64 machine to use systemd and all is working
>> okay except for the lvm.service.
>>
>> The lvm.service starts with no errors, but OTOH it finds no physical or
>> logical volumes.  I suspect this happens because the drive using lvm2
>> is in a usb3 external dock instead of attached to the mobo.
>>
>> When I run 'systemctl restart lvm' manually, the usb3 disk is activated
>> and mounted successfully.  Thus I think the lvm.service runs too early
>> during boot.
>>
>> Here is my lvm.service (which I copied from another distro, IIRC):
>>
>> #cat /etc/systemd/system/lvm.service
>>
>> [Unit]
>> Description=LVM
>> DefaultDependencies=no
>> Requires=systemd-udev-settle.service
>> Before=shutdown.target local-fs.target
>>
>> [Service]
>> Type=oneshot
>> RemainAfterExit=yes
>> ExecStart=/sbin/pvscan --ignorelockingfailure
>> ExecStart=/sbin/vgscan --mknodes --ignorelockingfailure
>> ExecStart=/sbin/vgchange --sysinit -a ly
>> ExecStop=/sbin/lvchange --sysinit -a ln $(/sbin/vgs -o vg_name
> --noheadings --nosuffix)
>> ExecStop=/sbin/lvchange --sysinit -a ln
>> ExecStop=/sbin/vgchange --sysinit -a ln
>>
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=sysinit.target
>>
>> Is there an elegant way to fix the problem as opposed to a hack?
>
> I believe that for recent enough versions of LVM2, it includes an official
> lvm2.service unit file(s). Could you try that one and see if it works as
> you expect?

I have the recent lvm2 (2.02.104) and the unit files in
/usr/lib/systemd/system are called

lvm2-lvmetad.service
lvm2-lvmetad.socket
lvm2-monitor.service
lvm2-pvscan@.service

I have *no* custom unit files for systemd or lvm (only homebrew unit is
for my autobackup script).

A few weeks ago there was a confusion between /sbin and /usr/sbin for
the lvm2 files (lvm, pvchange, etc).  But that is working fine now.
Indeed I use systemd with lvm2 and my lv's are all recognized and
mounted automatically.

allan