On Tuesday 10 Dec 2013 15:25:32 Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:47:41AM +0000, Mick wrote
>
> > On Saturday 07 Dec 2013 11:27:50 Tom Wijsman wrote:

> > > Seems so, you'll need to check with upstream or with the code for more
> > > details; but it is just one small package though.
> >
> > Sure, today it is just gnome-base, tomorrow I could end up *having*
> > to install systemd or whatever RHL and their developers have deemed
> > appropriate for your average desktop system.  I've masked the two
> > you suggested for now.
>
>   The GNOME people have now made dbus a hard-coded dependancy of the
> latest gtk+.  systemd can't be far behind.  I've had dbus masked since
> it arrived approximately the same time as HAL.  Here's what I get when
> trying to update gtk+

I always thought that dbus is useful on a desktop system that is used to run,
errm ... applications, and it doesn't violate the *nix design philosophy.  As
far as I understand it is only trying to be an IPC manager.  I seem to recall
that Poettering and co tweaked something in libdbus, but my knowledge is quite
limited on all things Gnome.

Gnome devs decided in late 2012 to *not* make systemd a hard coded dependency,
but look where we are now.  Without systemd needed/desirable functionality for
a Gnome desktop won't work.  So, let's say that I tend to be sceptical on what
might be used next as the thin end of the wedge.

--
Regards,
Mick