On 12/10/2013 10:10 AM, gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
> I just tried to run python-updater and received several lines like the
> following
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "<string>", line 7, in <module>
>     ImportError: No module named portage
>
> It did find 4 files to update
>
>     [ebuild   R    ] dev-python/gconf-python-2.28.1:2  USE="-examples" 0 kB
>     [ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/libgamin-0.1.10-r4  USE="-debug -python
> -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 kB
>     [ebuild   R    ] sys-libs/libcap-ng-0.7.3  USE="-python -static-libs" 0 kB
>     [ebuild   R    ] sys-libs/cracklib-2.9.0-r1  USE="nls zlib -python
> -static-libs" 0 kB
>
> However, after the merges, running python-updater again, gave the same
> result.
>
> I remerged python-updater with no change.
>
> I know that I should be changing my python3 from 3.2 to 3.3 since I have
> gotten msgs from other merges saying
>
>     Building package for python3.3 only while python3.2 is active.
>     Please consider switching the active Python 3 interpreter:
>
>             eselect python set --python3 python3.3
>
>     Please note that after switching the active Python interpreter,
>     you may need to run 'python-updater' to rebuild affected packages.
>
> But I worry about relying on python-updater when it is giving errors.
> Should I do the requested eselect ?

I switched from 3.2 to 3.3 as the message recommended, although I'm still using
2.7 as my primary python version.

I should confess, though, that I didn't use python-updater because I'm having
other (probably self-inflicted) problems with the gnome3/systemd update at the
same
time and I also didn't want to trust an automated process like python-updater.

Instead, I manually emerged all of the packages in
/usr/lib/python3.2/site-packages
from a command prompt and all went well.  Note: I'm not saying python-updater
would
screw it up -- I just wasn't in the mood yesterday to take that chance :)