James wrote:

>Dave Nebinger <dnebinger <at> joat.com> writes:
>

>>>I think it might be important to point out here how Shorewall
>>>handles/uses these files. I don't use Shorewall, so I can't really
>>>shed light on it. But these config files are really only one side of
>>>the mirror.
>

>Sorry, I HAVE ZERO INTEREST IN A GUI, UNLESS THE RESULTING RULESETS
>ARE SIMILAR TO THOSE BUILT MANUALLY with a one-to-one correspondance
>to iptables/netfilter.

I think, perhaps, you misunderstood what I was saying.  My
understanding of shorewall was that it was a script (or series of
scripts) that look for the previously specified config files and do
"cool stuff" with the information contained in them.  I was simply
stating that in order to put value to the information in the config
files, that you would have to know what the scripts do.  I was not, in
any way, suggesting that you use Shorewall.  I can completely
understand and sympathize with your need to dissect iptables, and the
security it provides.  However, I tend to take a top-down approach, as
opposed to the bottom-up approach you seem to prefer.

>>Actually these files are typically the only ones you'll need to edit...
>

>I have a very robust OpenBSD based firewall.
>
>I'm not looking for advice on building firewalls as a newbie.
>I'm looking for somebody that knows IPTABLES/NETFILTER, preferable
>on Gentoo, and is willing to share a little information. I'm in the
>process of building a gentoo based firewall to compare the robustness
>against OpenBSD + pf.

< ... snipping "BSD is better" rant ... >

>sincerely, from a dreamer and a looser, and an simpleton,
>
>(but, I'm not afraid of any stinking rule_set, are you?)
>
>James

Going back to your original questions, I'm not really sure I can help
with Q1.  However, in regards to Q2, there aren't any config files for
iptables.  The tables are stored in memory.  You can do an
"iptables-save", which will output a modified version of the rules
currently in place, which can subsequently be modified (assuming you
understand and duplicate the syntax) and restored (with any changes)
using "iptables-restore".  Otherwise, all of your editing should be
done at the command line.  I would recommend using a script (of your
own design, if so desired) to ease repeatability, and reduce the
possibility for mistakes (fat-fingering).  Also, a script of this
nature would be handy for starting the iptables upon boot (I believe
the HOW-TO you referenced covers this).

HTH.

- --
gentux
echo "hfouvyAdpy/ofu" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'

gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 34CE 2E97 40C7 EF6E EC40  9795 2D81 924A
6996 0993