On 01/01/2014 02:07 PM, gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
> I was considering what seagate calls an "expansion hard drive".  They
> are USB 3, but I will be using only USB 2.  The desktop is gentoo-only
> and I don't need any backup software from seagate.
>
> The models are STBVx000100 for x=1,2,3,4 TB.
>
> I understand the price capacity trade-off, but wonder if anyone has any
> experience with these drives.

Hi Allan,

I am currently using 11 of these drives (1TB model; STBV1000100)
connected via USB doing daily/weekly backups of infrastructure at work.
They're specifically used on mostly Windows servers via WSB.

They're written to quite often and have been on 24x7 since last January.
I did have a problem with one drive a month in but it was replaced and
have had no issues since.

Keep in mind these have no on/off switch and are literally an expansiond
drive, meant to be on all the time.

I've performed test restores to a VM and no issues. Performance is OK
even on USB2.

I have no complaints on these particular models (other than the lack of
a power switch), although I really should have purchased the 2TB models.
Oh well.

Dan