On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 22:12:42 +0000
Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 15:57:10 +0200, Gevisz wrote:
>
> > > etc-update or conf-update or similar
> >
> > I was afraid to run etc-update as man says it will replace
> > everything automatically. However, I run dispatch-conf and it does
> > not see any problems at /etc/ssh, which have only the following
> > three files: moduli, ssh_config, sshd_config (though I have
> > added /etc/ssh to CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK).
>
> Why did you do that? By masking out config file protection
> for /etc/ssh there will never be anything to be managed by etc-update
> as you have told portage to replace those files blindly and without
> asking.

From man "dispatch-conf":

dispatch-conf will check all directories in the CONFIG_PROTECT
variable.  All config files found in CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK will
automatically  be updated for you by dispatch-conf.

But anyway,

1) I mask it only for one session, just to check that this does not help,

2) as we have already figured out, there were no ssh config files
   to merge, only the dumb warning message issued without checking
   anything, and the latter, in my view, is a karma of ssh: it
   should have at least something implemented wrong :-)

3) I will continue to do this job manually with gvimdiff as I have
   found it much more convenient than dispatch-conf (gvimdiff shows
   the differences a way much better).