With overlays.gentoo.org being down, by update script takes a long time to complete. Instead of Git telling me immediately that it can't connect to the server, it just sits there for whole minutes doing nothing before it decides to abort.

This is extremely frustrating. Is there a way to change this behavior of Git? Other software doesn't seem to have this problem (for example if I browse to a web server that's down, the browser immediately tells me that it can't connect, rather going for a coffee break first.)