On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:02:15 -0500
gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:

> My main system is a dell latitude E6430s.   I am embarrassed to say
> that, although I have had this system for a while, I just now realized
> that it has a build in webcam.  What software do you recommend and
> what should I start reading to learn how to use it.
>
> thanks,
> allan

ffmpeg/libav works well for capturing input from webcams, at least if
the driver uses the video4linux (v4l) framework (I haven't encountered
any other kinds). For instance, to capture one frame and store it as a
png image (using libav's avconv, ffmpeg would be similar), you can use
    avconv -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 testframe.png

mplayer (and its descendants) also play well with v4l, to directly
display the webcam's input you can use
    mplayer -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0 tv://
(The -tv switch and its argument are probably redundant as the default
detection is very good.)

--
eroen