On 28/01/2014 22:04, Thanasis wrote:
> on 01/28/2014 09:36 PM Andrew Tselischev wrote the following:
>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 09:29:21PM +0200, Thanasis wrote:
>>> Is there a way to specify that I want to install (emerge) the latest
>>> 3.10.X series of sys-kernel/gentoo-sources as a slot, in parallel with
>>> the latest gentoo-sources?
>>>
>>> Currently, that would be version 3.10.28.
>>> I know I can specify it like so,
>>> emerge =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.10.28
>>>
>>> but then it would not get "auto-updated" when a newer version of that
>>> series (for example 3.10.29) becomes available in portage.
>>>

>> You could mask "newer" versions in package.mask like so:
>>
>>> =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.10.29*
>>

> Maybe I was not so clear, but my intent is *NOT* to mask any newer
> versions, but have the sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.10.X get updated as a
> slot, in parallel to latest sys-kernel/gentoo-sources, when I do a world
> update like so:
> emerge -DNu world

that won't work as each kernel ebuild is in it's own unique slot
consisting of one and only one kernel version. I doubt the kernel team
are going to change that.

What you are asking is fundamentally not possible as slots are used in a
very incompatible way with your idea.

You will have to find and accept a workaround, such as masks.

But it's not really that big of a deal. Kernels ebuilds are sources,
they build no binaries. Having a version installed doesn't mean it runs,
it means you have the sources. All it consumes is disk space as they
don;tget updated

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com