On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/06/14 21:19, Alan McKinnon wrote:

>>> --->8

>>> Yes, I saw that after I hit Send. (So what else is new?)
>>>
>>> Seems to me that too many things need updating before Joseph can switch
>>> to the
>>> latest thing in init systems.
>>>
>>> Maybe he should go back to his last working system (from backup?), go
>>> through
>>> his kernel config piecemeal, setting sensible options, and generally
>>> bring the
>>> box up to date. Then he can start experimenting with the latest ideas.
>>> (Sorry
>>> Joseph, I don't mean to talk about you as though you weren't here!)
>>>
>>> I forget: how many years is it since the ancient /dev/hd? scheme was
>>> superseded and deprecated?
>>

>> Dim memory tells me it's somewhere around 2006/7?
>>
>> I agree with your suggested approach. Joseph should first get world
>> fully updated and synced, then switch the kernel disk system over to the
>> new framework, verify all that as working nicely, and only then activate
>> systemd. Like Canek said, systemd doesn't magically get installed and
>> them just work. It runs at too low a level for that to happen in all
>> cases.
>>
>> --
>> Alan McKinnon
>> alan.mckin...@gmail.com
>

> I'm running on this box linux-3.10.17-gentoo so it is fairly new. I updated
> my world 1-month ago.
> I usually update every three months. First backup system, if there are no
> major issues after a week or so I upgrade few other system and if everything
> goes smooth I upgrade the main system with the same three.
>
> Is is possible to have packages without "systemd" flag.
> I was just rebuilding gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon
>
> and it wants to pull-in: sys-apps/systemd-208-r2
> and this conflicts with udev.
>
> I'm not switching to systemd anytime soon, got burned recently and have no
> time to learn new configuration settings.

As I said in the other thread, you need to set the openrc-force USE
flag for gnome-settings-daemon. Again, this is not really supported,
it will result in reduced functionality, and somethings will probably
fail.

And since most of the underlying infrastructure of Xfce is really
GNOME, this probably will happen with more and more packages in the
future, as more and more things start using the more sane and advanced
functionality of logind.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés