On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:10:50PM +0000, Kerin Millar wrote

> As mentioned in a few other posts, recent snapshots are portage:portage
> throughout so it's a done deal for new installations.

  How "recent"?  Looking back into ~/Maildir/spam/cur/ I see that the
email file suffix changed from ".d531:2,S" to ".i660:2,S" on May 14th,
2013 (i.e. the current machine "i660" was installed and pulling mail as
of that date).

>  Those who still have it owned by root can benefit from usersync
>  simply by running:
>
> # chown -R portage:portage "$(portageq envvar PORTDIR)"
>
> There is no subsequent requirement not to invoke emerge --sync as root.

  What's the point, if you still have to run as root (or su or sudo) for
the emerge update process?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>