The 21/02/14, Andrew Savchenko wrote:

> Any decent security setup contains multiple layers of protection.
> Use of non-standard binaries, algorithms or implementations is just
> one of them and it is the simplest math to prove that security is
> _improved_ this way.

The algorithms and implementations do not change with configuration
options while they are almost always the cause of security issues of a
software.

Of course, building the same software on different architectures or with
custom configuration options will change the assembler code and the
binary fingerprint might be totally different. But considering this a
layer of protection remains non-sense and is a dangerous approach. The
nature of Gentoo does not help in this area compared to other binary
distributions.

I don't pretend that non-standard binaries NEVER protect against some
kind of issues. I pretend they are ridiculously insignificant in the
wild.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht