> Ok, now we're talking. When you enter Grub this way it doesn't care
> about an existing configuration - so IMHO no problem there. Here's what
> I would do:
>
> 1. Check if top shows reasonable results - if not step 3
> 2. Re-emerge grub - if that doesn't help - step 3
> 3. memtest86 for a day

I don't know what are not reasonable results in top - haven't ever
seen such results. IMHO it shows correct values about memory,
processes, buffers and cpu load.

I tryed grub 0.96, 0.97 with same results, reemerging them didn't
helped. If you use grub what CFLAGS do you have? I've got "-march=i586
-mcpu=pentium3 -O -pipe".

If it is memory failure what other effects would I see on my system?
My friend had broken RAM and linux was very unstable, he had random
compilation errors and other strange effects.

Is it possible that grub "wants to have" RAM in first memory slot and
I have it in second one?

I'll leave memtest for a night.