On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 16:35:30 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why isn't there a static or mutlilib libtcl.so?
>
> When I want to build a static binary that uses libtcl, I have to build
> my own private copy of libtcl?

I don't know about a static one, but versions since
dev-lang/tcl-8.5.15-r1 are multilib-enabled through the abi_x86_64 use
flag (or the related ABI_X86 use_expand) in testing arches.

Unfortunately, this capability is presently difficult to leverage on
stable arches, particularly because the dependency on multilib zlib
which (indirectly through blockers) turns this into an all-or-nothing
affair unless you can live without multilib variants of the other
libraries that have until now been provided by the
emul-linux-x86-baselibs package.

For your requirements, I would suggest you rather build tcl yourself
for your development and leave the gentoo packaged version for use with
other packages that use it.

--
eroen