On 9/9/05, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This looks quite the useful utility, but it doesn't seem to provide the
> requested information (or at least, not all of it, and what it does
> provide is difficult to recognize):
>
> I know the make and model of my mobo; it's a Shuttle AK32A.
>
> Let's see what dmidecode has to say:

<SNIP>

> The manufacturer name, Shuttle, never appears in this output (which is
> not all that surprising, since I don't think Shuttle puts any chips on
> the board that identify themselves as Shuttle-made (as opposed to VIA or
> whoever), but the fact that I'm not surprised is irrelevant to solving
> the problem :) ).
>
> There certainly is a lot of useful information in this output, but it's not
> necessarily the information needed (and certainly not all of the information
> requested by the OP). So how would I, or the OP, use this utility
> properly to answer the question, "What is the make (manufacturer) and
> model number of my motherboard?" Or does it not answer that question fully?
>
> Holly
> --

Hi Holly,
   This machine is a newish Asus A8N-E. Here's a trimmed version of what I see:

lightning ~ # dmidecode | more
# dmidecode 2.6
SMBIOS 2.3 present.
72 structures occupying 2042 bytes.
Table at 0x000F0000.
Handle 0x0000
        DMI type 0, 20 bytes.
        BIOS Information
                Vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
                Version: ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
                Release Date: 06/08/2005
                Address: 0xE0000
                Runtime Size: 128 kB

<SNIP>

Handle 0x0002
        DMI type 2, 8 bytes.
        Base Board Information
                Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
                Product Name: A8N-E
                Version: 2.XX
                Serial Number: 123456789000

So to me it appears to be SMBIOS dependent?

- Mark