On Mon, March 17, 2014 19:35, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 17.03.2014 19:30, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
>
>> I know. It usually comes at the least convenient moment.
>>
>> I do think it's the customers' fault for not keeping up with normal
>> maintenance schedules. Most companies write off hardware after 3-4
>> years.
>
> The support contract with the supplier ended in 2011 ... you know ...

Doesn't surprise me, to be honest...

> But OK, I wanted them to "do KVM" anyway. I just have to invest this
> evening ... in a way.

I've been planning to try KVM as well, but am wondering how snapshots work
with KVM. Not been able to find anything about that apart from
disk-snapshots. No info if it's possible to take a copy of the memory as
well.

> I am right before installing Qemu and configuring the network bridge etc
> ... the vmdks are already converted. Maybe it doesn't take that long.

I don't think it should take very long. :)
But, do check that the vmware tools get uninstalled from the guests and
replaced by KVM equivalents.

--
Joost