On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 09:27:00 +0100
Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> PYTHON_COMPAT="python2_7 python3_3 python3_4"

This is a variable meant for packages; and thus, setting it in
make.conf has no effect afaik.

> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 python3_4"

You'll want to set this to what you want.

> # PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7"
> PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_3"
>
> in my /etc/portage/make.conf and portage itself is Python3-based.
> I have to toggle the two PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET lines depending
> on some packages, e.g., dev-util/eric requires
> PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_3"
> which causes other packages not to install.

Set these in /etc/portage/package.use like so:

    dev-util/eric python_single_target_python3_3

(Yes, PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET expands to USE flags.)

> I have tried to remove python2_7 from PYTHON_TARGETS but then
> I cannot re-install portage although it is based on Python3.

Why is this? Can you share us the log or output of that?

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D