On Friday 28 Mar 2014 21:08:02 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 14:15:56 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > There is a file that is executed by default at login, I think it
> > > is .autorun. I remember having to add an option to ignore it on the
> > > LXFDVDs because we use .autorun on those to launch a browser.
> >
> > I had a poke around and didn't get anywhere with .autorun, but
> > eventually I found that SysRescCD uses zsh, not bash. It hadn't
> > occurred to me until then to consider the shell. So that's why the
> > auto-login function wasn't behaving the way I expected.
>
> I don't think it's down to the shell, sysresccd includes bash too AFAIR.

Yes, bash is present, but root (superuser) has /bin/zsh as its shell in
/etc/passwd, so bash scripts aren't run on login.

> It's more likely due to me giving your duff information, the file is
> autorun not .autorun.

I did manage to drop the dot :-)

--->8

> Aha, just found the proper documentation for it
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Run_your_own_scripts_with_autorun

That looks interesting - thanks. First though I think I'll pursue getting my
aliases, and unaliases, into zsh startup. Or is it simple to change root's
login shell? It seems unlikely that simply editing /etc/passwd would do it.

--
Regards
Peter