thanks for your answer!

actually, i just realized that it's working now. unfortunately i don't
know what of all the things i've been trying made the difference...

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [M2496          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
                      M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0xec00, irq 16
 1 [CODEC          ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
                      Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC at
usb-0000:00:1a.1-2, full speed
 2 [nanoKONTROL2   ]: USB-Audio - nanoKONTROL2 KORG INC. nanoKONTROL2 at
usb-0000:00:1a.1-1, full speed

the usb audio card is working.

the midi controllers, on the other hand, although recognized by the
system, are not seen by the midi sequencers i tried (rosegarden and
qtractor). i'll have to investigate more, because it's the midi
controllers what i'm interested in.

> It means USB-1.1 as defined by AMD (I think).
>
> lspci | grep OHCI should show if you need it.

mmm... lspci | grep OHCI gives nothing, so i guess i'll disable these
modules in the kernel.

thanks again, and if anyone knows how i could actually use those midi
controllers, i would appreciate any help.

lj