On 12/05/14 14:05, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Am 12.05.2014 11:46, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
EFI does not provide a VGA text mode, only BIOS does. So booting in EFI
mode makes VGA text mode impossible to use.

Then there's NVidia, who do not officially support booting in anything
else than VGA text mode. It seems to work fine "unofficially" though.
I'm using the EFI console framebuffer driver. The NVidia blob complains
about it, but it seems to work with no ill effects so far.
[...]
Could you maybe add how you "use the EFI console framebuffer driver"
here, just as a reference for others? You know, we all google around
like hell ... especially with this "intuitive" UEFI-stuff ;-)

It's an in-kernel driver, like VESAFB and so on. It's the CONFIG_FB_EFI option. It can be enabled in:

Device Drivers > Graphics support > Support for frame buffer devices > EFI-based Framebuffer Support

It only works when actually booting in EFI mode. It cannot be used when booting in BIOS mode, even on an EFI system.