>>> It will disable the hotplugging, it means you *must* have the net.*
>>> stuff added
>>> to the default to runlevel yourself, like eg.
>>>
>>> # rc-update add net.foooooobar default
>>

>> They're in the default runlevel:
>>
>> # rc-update|grep net.enp
>>       net.enp0s20u2u1 |      default
>>       net.enp0s20u2u2 |      default
>>
>> I can disable hotplugging with rc_hotplug in rc.conf.  Hotplugging is
>> actually disabled by default there and my network interfaces won't
>> start automatically that way.
>>

> Does your kernel have timing info enabled? If so, it would be
> interesting to look at your dmesg output.
>
> My guess is that your kernel is taking a really long time (several
> seconds) to initialize your network cards.

I have this:

# dmesg | grep enp
[    4.297862] systemd-udevd[659]: renamed network interface eth0 to enp0s20u2u1
[    4.778289] systemd-udevd[660]: renamed network interface eth0 to enp0s20u2u2
[    6.496193] ax88179_178a 3-2.1:1.0 enp0s20u2u1: ax88179 - Link status is: 1
[    7.905393] ax88179_178a 3-2.2:1.0 enp0s20u2u2: ax88179 - Link status is: 1
#

That doesn't tell us when the network initscripts tried and failed to
start but this from /var/log/messages/everything/current shows the
first time in the boot sequence that a dependent service failed to
start because of the networking failure so it should be before this:

[kernel] [    0.787433] serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
[/etc/init.d/unbound] ERROR: cannot start unbound as net.enp0s20u2u1
would not start
[kernel] [    0.792081] rtc_cmos 00:04: alarms up to one month, y3k,
242 bytes nvram, hpet irqs

- Grant