On Wed, 21 May 2014 23:11:02 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:

> This one is a gem - I forget where I saw it (likely planet, but maybe
> it was on a list).  Stick it in your crontab.  I will warn you that
> sometimes it chokes on its own output and obviously it can't build
> binpkgs for anything more than one step down the dependency tree.
> However, when my weekly chromium build runs at 2AM and I can just
> install it (with -k) the next morning it is a nice thing indeed.  You
> still get full control over USE flags/etc, but most of the convenience
> of a binary distro.
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> LIST=$(mktemp);
>
> emerge -puD --changed-use --color=n --columns --quiet=y --with-bdeps=y
> world | awk '{print $2}' > ${LIST};

One slight problem, it ignores slotted packages. I realise this is not a
big issue as you are simply trying to get the big packages built in
advance, If you drop the --columns and replace the awk call with

you will get properly versioned atoms.

Or you could try --keep-going as suggested by Marc - I've no idea whether
that will play nicely with --buildpkgonly.

Either way, it's an excellent idea and one for the GMN tips thread.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 14: Temporary tax increase