On 03/06/2014 18:48, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 6/3/2014 11:10 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe. The thing is, this is going to keep happening, as more and more
>> infrastructure migrates towards systemd. Perhaps a news item everytime
>> it happens is unrealistic?
>
> Weren't you the one saying that those of us who were voicing concerns
> that systemd proponents were ultimately wanting to FORCE systemd on
> everyone were just scare-mongering conspiracy theorists?

I don't think that is what is happening here.

The upower devs decided to stop inventing their own wheel wrt
hibernate/suspend and instead use the code for the same purpose that is
in systemd, lower down the stack. In some way this makes sense, much
like if you had your own hand-rolled ssl code and decided to drop it in
favour of linking with openssl.

The bad news is that upower was the last project actively working on
hibernate/suspend outside of systemd, so it can look like conspiracy theory.

The good news is that the version of upower prior to this decision still
works fine and likely will for ages to come. That code has been bundled
into a new package upower-pm-utils.

Anyone that feels like doing it can now step up to the plate and
continue the work upower was doing earlier.

Perhaps it really is a case of projects are migrating to systemd because
there's an advantage to doing so and makes a dev's life easier.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com