Walter Dnes <waltdnes <at> waltdnes.org> writes:

>   You may be interested in buildroot http://buildroot.net/ and
> http://buildroot.net/about.html  It's nominally aimed at cross-compiling
> for embedded systems, but it looks like it handles just about
> everything.  I'm not a developer, so I don't know if this is what you're
> looking for, but it sounds interesting.

Buildroot is great for embedded system and cross compiling. It more
for after you get a basic system up, imho. What I need is a basic,
minimal image that I can dd over to a hard drive, and build out whatever
"gentoo" I need. In fact I may need several images:

(1) basic image to build up a amd64 workstation or server
(2) a basic image to build up a 586 (or greater) system from
(3) a basic image to build up x86 embedded systems from
(4) a basic image to build up 32 bit arm systems from
(5) a basic image to build up 64 bit arm images

The idea would be to dd these images to a blank HD and install the basic
gentoo system, then customize from there.

This would avoid hours and hours of custom (handbook) derived installation
hours for new system that are only slightly different and are all gentoo
systems, as the base system would have the file system inside the image,
the make.conf with minimal necessary files, profile etc etc. Just the
minimal necessary to get the kernel+system up. The basic system would
change (be updated with new kernel) from time to time, but only every
few months. emerge --sync would bring the systems current.

Them, according to what I want to build, there would be a "guide sheet"
that details the flags necessary and the key packages (software-ebuild)
config file edits etc to realize the final test box(gentoo) system.

I'm thinking out loud here on  the list for folks to "chime in" and
refine the idea. Starting with (1) and (2) only above would get me started.
I'm quite certain this is going to be a work in progress.

maybe a custom cd/dvd via catalyst for each of the (5) categories ?
I do want as much as possible (practical and reasonable to support)
from the handbook into the boot image. I think most of what is therein
before entering "chroot" is a reasonable first draft idea?

And yes this would mean all the decisions like file system type, partitions,
fstab, mtab etc would be made ahead of time, generically
for one size works reasonable well with all setups. It has been pointed
out to me that "lilo" works best for the booting as there are no issues
wtih embedded builds or the various "C" libraries one can use:
glibc, uClibc, BSDs, bionic, musl.

I'll probable start with stable and one I have (1) and (2) working
move to a hardened version (at least the kernel and tool chain)....

It may not end up as clean as I like, but surely there is a way to
streamline various categories of systems, as a referenced starting point?
??????

James