On 06/07/2014 12:56 AM, Hans de Graaff wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 15:47:38 -0700, walt wrote:
>
>> Is all of the above familiar to you?  If not, you may need more help
>> with managing multiple ruby versions.  I find it a large PITA and I
>> could use more help myself :)
>
> Could you explain what bothers you or where you would need help?

Hi Hans.  The annoying problems occur when updating ruby-related packages.

For example, I (want to) use only ruby19:

#grep RUBY /etc/portage/make.conf
RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19"

In spite of that, portage often insists on installing other versions of
ruby, rdoc, rubygems, and you already know the others.

AFAICT, the other versions of ruby are dragged in by old ruby packages
that were installed before I started using "RUBY_TARGETS" (because I
didn't yet know about RUBY_TARGETS),

I discovered all of this by grepping for ruby in /var/db/pkg but it
took me a long time to get it sorted out, and I don't expect that a
gentoo beginner could do it.  (OTOH maybe a gentoo beginner wouldn't
care about installing multiple ruby versions :)

Thanks for taking the time to read gentoo.user and even more thanks
for being a gentoo dev :)