Thanks Alan, but...

On 6/14/2014 10:16 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 14/06/2014 15:30, Tanstaafl wrote:
This clearly shows the -openrc USE flag being applied.

You read it wrong. The USE flag is not being applied it's being removed
(the minus "-"),

Well, I did include the hyphen(-), so I meant in the negative (removed) sense.

and the reason it is being removed is that it doesn't exist for the
new ebuild. That's what the parenthesis means.

Ah... ok, I'd forgotten about the significance of the ()...

But...

Googling didn't reveal an answer...

It's in the emerge man page. If not there, is one of the man pages from
portage

Ok, that explains the meaning of the (), but doesn't explain this *change* satisfactorily (to a non-coder at least)...

*Why* was it removed/no longer needed? And why was it needed previously?

Since udev (and openrc vs systemd) is such a huge topic lately, I think this should be clearly explained, possibly even warranting a news item.

I still, even after your answer, don't really understand why and whether or not this is 'normal', or going to bite me later big time.

Thanks again, I'd like to do this upgrade this weekend, but I don't upgrade system critical packages without fully understanding changes like this.