On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> The moral is always look for portage trying to downgrade packages and add
> the appropriate keyword entries when using this approach.

The only issue with this is that you never get back to stable that way.

What I usually do if I am tracking testing on a package and want to
get back to stable is one of two things:
1.  Mask all versions less than what I have.  Then I won't get downgraded.
2.  Keyword all versions less than the next big release.  Then I'll
keep getting bugfixes in ~arch but won't get promoted to the next big
release, and hopefully at that point stable catches up.

In general moving from testing to stable is a bit of a pain though -
I've never actually done it for a whole system.  It is enough of a
pain when you get ahead on one package and want to drop back.

Rich