16.07.2014 14:33, J. Roeleveld пишет:
> On 16 July 2014 11:19:20 CEST, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dale wrote:
>> a new
>> where I
>> it
>> complaining
>> using
>> linux-headers
>> glibc

>>> 3.15.5-gentoo
>>>
>>> I got a different tarball, going to test that.  If it fails, may step
>>> back a kernel version and see if that helps.  It's faster than
>>> re-installing from scratch again.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-)  :-)
>>>
>> UPDATE:  I downloaded a different stage3 tarball and I think I see
>> progress.  It has a couple errors that I had to fix, had to run
>> gcc-config for one, but it looks like glibc is running longer than
>> before.  It seems to be compiling now.  So, it seems that other tarball
>> has some issues and needs a hammer.
>>
>> Now to figure out if I want to try and use the binary from this new
>> tarball on the current install OR just install Gentoo again from
>> scratch.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I would start from scratch.  Who knows what else is broken?
>
> --
> Joost
When I reinstalled gcc and glibc, migrating from non-multilib amd64 arch
to multilib one, I just unpacked gentoo stage3 into temporary directory,
chrooted there, made binary packages out of installed ones (quickpkg
<name>), copied resulted binary packages and their metadata to host
system (i.e. moved $chroot/usr/portage/packages into
/usr/portage/packages) and installed those binary packages replacing
current ones. It's fast (you don't have to build packages from scratch),
and it didn't fail me even once, although I heard playing with glibc
such way may be dangerous (particularly, downgrading it). I guess it
works for other purposes too.

I don't like installing from scratch if there is a way to fix it. I
don't like that approach 'unpack stage on top of your system', because
it will lead to system pollution: a lot of files might be no longer
tracked by package manager after that.

But that's just my experience and opinion. I hope it can help you.