"J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> writes:

> On Monday, July 14, 2014 12:46:48 PM Neil Bothwick wrote:
>
>> I actually have it send an alert to my phone with Posterous but you
> can
>
>> do whatever you want.
>

> Which "Posterous" is this?
>
> When I google it, I only get information that it actually got shut
> down after being bought by Twitter.
>

> I am looking for a cheap method to get notifications to my mobile
> phone. I used to use a free SMS service via a company in SA.

Maybe Telegram[1] fits your needs. You'd need:

- The appropriate client on the phone side.
- Telegram CLI [2] on the computer.
- A little shell script, such as (usage: script USER MESSAGE)
  #!/bin/sh
  /path/to/telegram -B -k /path/to/tg.pub <<AAA

  msg $1 $2
  safe_quit
  AAA
 You could also send logfiles (^msg^send_text, $2 being the path to text
  file)

HTH

[1] http://www.telegram.org
[2] https://github.com/vysheng/tg

--
Do you know Montana?
 - This message may be digitally signed: GPG KeyID:0x9D2FD6C8 || FNMT SSL cert