> I got that off a howto somewhere.  I think it is a Gentoo one.  Anyway,
> commented all that out and left the one line, ran locale-gen and it
> seems to have fixed it.  Keep in mind, it's been that way for quite a
> long time.  No clue why it decides to moan about it now.

Well that is suprising, since the contents you have on that file are
totally wrong, locale.gen(5) manpage explicitly states the syntax for
that file is:
<locale> <charset>
example:
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
The man page also points you to the directories in /usr/share/i18n/
wich are locales/ and charmaps/ with the list of the ones available
for Gentoo, and also a convenient file named 'SUPPORTED' which tells
itself a list of what it has inside.
Also a the file alredy in the /etc/locale.gen in the stage3, has some
examples, since en_US.UTF-8 is the second example (and that's your
locale) you just need to uncomment that and run locale-gen.
Also LANG is an environment variable it has nothing to do in there.
PD: the manpages have the best supported answers, look at it before
going to random howtos online, its already at your installation
anyway.