> Also, when setting up a new system, make USE flag changes gradually.
> Unless you are sure of what you are doing, only change a few at a time.

Haha, just got frustrated with how much junk is on my machine and
globally disabled perl, python, ruby, and a bunch of other stuff. Bad
times ensued ;).

But really, as long as you're fine with looking at failed builds to see
what went wrong, you should be fine. You can set PORT_LOGDIR in
make.conf to send all build logs into a location (mine is
/var/log/portage) so that all logs get saved automatically, which I
find helpful.

Alec